Thursday, March 10, 2016

Satisficing on Socks

The Paradox of Choice 

Why More is Less












This book provided many examples that related to everyday scenarios. The biggest thing that I learned through reading is that I am a maximizer - in nearly every aspect of life. The suggestions to overcome the paradox provided at the end of the book seem extremely relevant and practical. Here are author Barry Schwarts' suggestions outlined:

  1. Choose when to choose. Make rules and pre-decide where appropriate.
  2. Be a chooser, not a picker. Pickers pick from options, choosers evaluate needs.
  3. Try to satisfice more than maximize.
  4. Think of the cost of opportunity costs. Don't compare too many options.
  5. Make decisions non-reversible. When we think there is an option to back out, it stays on our mind.
  6. Have an attitude of gratitude. Make a list of 5 things you are thankful for every night.
  7. Regret less.
  8. Anticipate adaptation. Think of how good things are right now.
  9. Control expectations.
  10. Curtail social comparison. Think of what makes you happy right now.
  11. Learn to love constraints. Work inside of them.
After finishing this book, I was prompted to think of ways I satisfice. Two items came to mind: ordering and socks. I see consumption as a necessity not something "to live for." When dining out, I often let either the waiter or my company order for me and I am usually completely satisfied with my meal. This is one example of satisficing.

Although I enjoy the result of clean clothes to wear during the week, doing laundry is another task I see as a necessity and do not maximize on. I satisfice while doing laundry by refusing to pair my socks. Rather than dedicate time to finding the pair to each different length/color/pattern of sock that comes out of the dryer - I choose to put all of my unpaired socks in my drawer. When getting ready, my outfit is chosen intentionally, except for socks. Rather than painstakingly deciding between the 50 pairs of socks in the drawer, I find that any two socks satisfy my need.

No comments:

Post a Comment