Tuesday, January 26, 2016

How to Avoid Making Huge Mistakes on Life Decisions

Meghan Daum's article entitled, "My Misspent Youth" resonated with me on multiple levels. Most superficially, we share a first name. We also share similar experiences involving martinis and overpriced apartments in New York City. After graduating from Bozeman High School in 2010, I too followed my dreams of living in the big apple, pursuing modeling.

Were our decisions to "follow our hearts" to New York City rational?


If you were to ask Simon Sinek (from the Ted Talk "Start With Why"), I presume his answer would be yes.


Why?


Simple. Because we started with "why." Instead of asking ourselves "how" or "what" we acted on instinct and from the core.


How is this related to stress?



When we approach life decisions from the outside in, beginning with "what" and "how" instead of "why," we often end up stressed about details beyond our control. My intention is not to downplay the important roles of preparation or logic, just to stretch your mind and offer a counterintuitive approach to decision making.

Over a century ago Louis Pasteur famously said, "Chance favors only the prepared mind."


Prepare, listen to your gut, then DO.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for sharing this topic because I strongly agree that plenty of us are making a bad decisions.

    Nice work (Y)

    ReplyDelete